For most of us, breathing is a simple task that happens unconsciously. But breathing is both an unconscious and conscious act. SealFit founder Mark Divine states that it’s when breathing remains unconscious that its pattern becomes dysfunctional and must be corrected. The quality of our breathing affects our posture and even our health. Breathing is an essential practice many of us don’t do as much as we should.
Box breathing is a simple concentration exercise that retrains your nervous system to breathe properly. Box breathing calms the nerves and relieves stress, and also has enormous carryover to your physical training.
Use this technique whenever you feel stress: BOX BREATHING TECHNIQUE or 4-Square Breathing:
1. Sit straight with aligned posture, hands folded gently in lap, palms facing up.
2. Close eyes in a quiet space with no distractions.
3. Close mouth and inhale gently on a count of 4. Hold gently for four (4) seconds allowing air to fill lungs. Concentrate on belly and notice it moves when you inhale deeply.
4. Open mouth slightly and breathe out to a count of four (4). Letting go, noticing if there's anything else you feel.
5. Gently hold outbreath for a soft count of four seconds.
6. Repeat for Four (4) Minutes allowing air to fill belly and noticing how it passes over chest.